Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Suicide Guest Speaker

The guest speaker talked about something that no one really likes to talk or think about, well at least I don't. Suicide is death. Death is sometimes suicide. I really liked the speaker in that she was pretty broad in her topic and gave us some of the signs, signals and ways to help people that were thinking about suicide. I never thought about how someone could be happy when they have decided to commit suicide. But it does make sense that once they have made the decision they feel a lot better. However, you would think that if one sat and pondered about committing it, they would chicken out? I don't know, I have never thought about it. Another thing I found amazing was when she talked about survivors who jumped from the Golden Gate Bridge. All of the survivors said that going down they wished the hadn't of done that. So one can only assume that the people who did accomplish suicide on the way down to their death were thinking the same thing. So in that split second when you want to back down you cant. Suicide... there aren't enough words to explain it. 


My brother and I were talking about this last weekend because our cousin just came to us and said that she thought about doing it. We were shocked of course but she said that it was a while ago and she is better now. When my bother and I were talking I was telling him how this 20year old kid died because he was on the top of a tower recording a football practice in high winds at some university I heard about on the news. The tower collapsed and the kid died. I told him that I couldn't imagine dying at this age, I am not ready to die and for some freak incident like that to happen to someone that is my age you can never be too safe. Whats going to happen is going to happen, but I would never, never, think about ending my life because times are bad. I do understand that some people feel depressed and don't have people to go to like me, and I cant fault them for that; but I always say that if things are as BAD AS THEY CAN BE today, then you can be sure that tomorrow will be better. Don't tell me that people have mental or emotional issues and its not that easy because I know the facts, we just had the speaker. I am only saying that I can see no reason what so ever to take your own life... crazy topic... gets you thinking.

3 comments:

  1. I like how passionate you are about there being alternatives to choosing suicide. Listening to the speaker must have been quite an experience for you since you had just gone into such a detailed discussion with your brother. Like you, I was struck by some of the facts the speak gave us. Also like you, I don't see any reason to take your own life, but obviously other people see it differently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that you are happy in secure and your life that you don't want to even think about suicide! It's a sad subject, but I think it's important to study it, so we can have more people like you. I'm glad that your cousin is doing well. I also agree with you that I would never want to die now at such a young age because I have so much more to live for! I want to see how all the undergrad work turns out in the future. The one thing I didn't like about the speaker is that I got the impression that college age students committing suicide was common. In fact, they aren't the highest group of suicide completions, rather older adult men are. And, veterans are a huge population of suicide completers. So, although it's important to study college students, it's also important to realize there are other population groups out there that are committing suicide at a higher rate than college students. Also, the rate of suicide is increasing in Virginia since 2004, so we can see that the problem isn't getting any better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with you when you say you are not ready to die and would not even think about it because you have so many things you want to do. That makes it hard to believe people our age would actually want to kill themselves, but I guess it's just the sad reality that is our world!

    ReplyDelete