Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Kids Will Be Kids... Adults Will Be Dumb...

I grew up with two brothers, so I was around guys all the time and was a big "tomboy". We would always act out different things we saw on television although most of them were just like fighting like Power Rangers or Ninja Turtles or something of that sort. I even tried to jump off of the monkey bars with an umbrella like Mary Poppins, like a lot of kids, but fortunately did not end up getting hurt. One of my most memorable memories from my childhood however was not done by me although I got to witness it. My brothers and I liked to play with fire and gasoline, terrible I know. We never caught anything major on fire, although now that I look back we could have done some serious damage. I remember a Tom and Jerry episode where Tom lit a ring of fire around Jerry and my brothers and I had been watching it one morning. So during the week when my parents were at work we had gone out to our little "houses" we had built in the woods behind our house. My brother got mad at my oldest brother for some reason and decided to pour gasoline around his "house and set it on fire. Thank goodness my brother was not in the house (and he knew he was not in there) because we just sat there and kind of laughed knowing that our older brother would be really mad when he came outside to see his house area was ablaze. We eventually put the fire out but we always joke about it and say "we could have caused a huge fire because of all the trees and dead leaves around!" I just think it is crazy that he got the idea from Tom and Jerry, which was a pretty violent show if you think about it. The incident could have turned out a lot worse and I can only imagine (and now I really don't have to since we read stories in class) how many kids tried to mock cartoon shows and movie scenes that were purely fictional. I guess children don't understand the relationship fully between fiction and reality.;

There may be an excuse for children, but when adults try and copy things they see on TV, like Jackass and Wildboys, it is just plain stupidity. An instance that I remember that turned out to almost end in a trip to the ER for a guy I knew. It was wild when it happened but now we laugh when we think about it. Basically he had seen on TV where a guy lit his shot on fire and drank it and he thought he could do the same. I don't know the logistics of how to drink a flaming shot, but when he did it, it did not go down like it did in the movies. Instead he threw the shot back and his entire mouth had blue flames coming out of it! He jumped around yelling and screaming but made his way to the sink where he was able to put it out. Amazingly he didn't have any burns but it was still dumb. If people try things like this I can envision the people who think it would be cool to do all the other stuff that they see on different media sources; maybe even kill.

4 comments:

  1. You know, it's interesting that you point out a cartoon like Tom and Jerry. I loved that show when I was a kid. I mean, an adorable mouse and a perpetual failure of a cat? What's not to like? Yet, you're right. It definitely encourages violence among its viewers if you're any indication. Hah, you could have done some serious damage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I HATED Tom and Jerry. I think it's because I always liked really happy shows like Winnie the Pooh or shows where the bad guy gets locked up. In Tom and Jerry, there was so much hostility! I completely agree with you that when children do things it's like "oh they didn't know any better" but when adults do it, they just end up making asses out of themselves. I hope Johnny Knoxville or Bam Margera never end up having kids because they will be all sorts of messed up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! Your brother could have also started a forest fire! Also, you should tell him that early fascination with fire and fire-setting is one of the characteristics of a psychopath :0)

    @Becca - Johnny Knoxville already has kids..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. you and your brothers were wild. I can can say that your childhood was greatly influenced by the media. Yet again, it's normal for kids to copycats shows on tv. They take in what they observe that try to imitate characters that they see as "cool". I bet you and your brothers had fun imitating cartoons to occupy time. Unfortunately, my siblings were older, so I could cause any possible mayhem with them.

    ReplyDelete