Monday, October 11, 2010

Glee Endorsing Drug Abuse, Masterbation, and Burlesque.... Really?

             First let me start off with the disclaimer that I am in no way a Britney Spears or Glee fan; I have never even seen Glee. Although I have heard interesting things about the show, a story that I came across on the internet surprised me when I read “Britney Spears's Glee show blasted by parents for endorsing 'drug abuse, masturbation, and burlesque'.  From what I had heard about the show it was a show about kids in a high school show choir so I was interested on what was going on.
              Apparently, Glee aired a tribute show for Britney Spears in which she played herself and there were various times where the Glee cast performed acts to some of her songs. One included her past hit I’m a Slave 4 U in which some of the cast wore “skimpy outfits” and did “sultry grinds”. This did not sit too well with parents because Parents Television Council (PTC) has approached FOX and said that it was inappropriate for the young audience it is directed towards because of the sexual content. There was a tribute to Madonna that the PTC said had plenty of “girl-girl bumping and grinding”. The group felt as if Britney Spears was not an appropriate role model because of her troubled past. The PTC said, “Considering her stints in rehab, her very public breakdowns, and her questionable parenting skills, there is absolutely no way Spears should be considered a role model.” Britney was apparently not fazed by this because she has yet to comment and continues to go on with her normal living.
            If the PTC tries to promote this issue further the issue may grow because it may make parents think about the “so-called” sexually explicit content on the show when they may have not thought about it before. Media usually tries to exaggerate instances and I feel that this is one of them. Although I have not seen the episode, I am sure that what was featured was not anything that the children have never seen before in a music video or PG-13 movie. I think that people take things out of hand and tend to amplify situations to unnecessary levels. I also think that if the media feels like this would become a bigger story and draw attention to the majority of the public, they may pick it up and make it an even bigger story.  

http://www.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474978590226

5 comments:

  1. Very interesting. I too have never seen a single episode of Glee but it seems like that show can be very bad for young viewers. Being that Glee is like some choir/musical show, they should expect to have alot of younger viewers and not include such disturbing material. I totally agree with PTC because Britney Spears has a bad past and it doesn't make it any better than Glee would feature of her dirties songs. Shame Shame Shame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glee had to know that when they decided to pay tribute to songs by Britney Spears entitled I'm a Slave 4 U and Baby One More Time, they were going to be put on blast. Glee holds an audience of all different types of people, of all different ages. Personally, I agree with you in that these kids have seen all of what happened in the Glee episode in music videos but I can see why parents would get so upset by the skimpy outfits and how it could be viewed negatively by adults. But I do believe that these PTC people need to relax a little.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I haven't seen the show but I have one friend who loves it. She hates Britney Spears though so maybe she skipped this episode.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think Glee is directed toward a young audience. Maybe these parents shouldn't be allowing their children to watch Glee in the first place if they're so protective because not just the Britney episode was risque. Also, of course there's girl-girl bumping and grinding or guy-guy or anything of the sort, it's a musical sitcom!

    I still love Britney Spears....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to see what you decide to do with TV!

    ReplyDelete