Sunday, September 5, 2010

MEDIA E-FAST

I decided to start my fast closer to night time; I figured that it may be a little bit easier than starting in the morning. At 7:00PM I turned off my TV and sat down to do some readings for my class. I actually got a lot done. I checked my phone every once in a while to look at the time because it the only clock I have. Around 9:00PM I got tired of reading and lay in the bed for about an hour (it felt like) until I went to sleep. I usually fall asleep with my TV so I had a little trouble going to sleep on this particular night.


I got my roommate to wake me up at 8:00am on this morning because she leaves for a class around the time I have to wake up and I didn’t want my phone to have to wake me up. Not watching the news in the morning was a terrible experience, I always watch the news in the morning. I felt as if I was lost; how am I supposed to know what happened while I was sleeping? I decided to take my ipod out of my book bag so I would not be tempted throughout the day to listen to it throughout the day. I actually whistled on my way to the bus stop because I did not have my music I usually listen to. Riding on the bus all I could hear was other people talking and it was actually kind of annoying. I realized why I always wanted my music in the morning. Being in class was not so bad; I had my phone in my bag since I left my apartment so I would not be tempted to look at it. I knew I would be even more tempted to use media today because it was Friday and this was my only class so I did not have any distractions to keep my mind off of it.

I rode with a friend back to my apartment and turned off their radio as soon as I got in the car. Needless to say they looked at me funny when I said, “Let’s talk”. Ha-ha. I then proceeded to tell them about my assignment that I had to put them at ease. When I got home I convinced my boyfriend to go to the park with me so I could be as far away from any form of media. When I arrived back home I did get online to comment on three people’s blog for this class. I thought about hitting the link to facebook after I finished; I could already hear my mind telling me, “no one will ever know”. But I stayed strong and continued my e-fast. When we got back to the house I decided to take a nap since I couldn’t find anything else to do that did not include media. My dad called and woke me up to ask if I heard about the guy who took over the Discovery building in Silver Springs Maryland because he operates a crane right beside it. I told him I had not because of my current assignment. I then grabbed a book that I had to read for class and read until I became tired and went back to sleep. When I awoke, I convinced my boyfriend to play card games with me for an hour. I asked him what time it was and he said 5:45PM. Only an hour and fifteen minutes and I will have gone 24 hours without media, aside from talking to my father and commenting on blogs. The time creeped by extremely slow. We left and went for a ride around Harrisonburg; radio free, for about half an hour. As I waited for 7:00PM to come time seemed to go by slower and slower. I kept asking what time it was and when 7:00 PM hit; I immediately picked up my phone and read all of my text messages and emails. It was actually kind of fun reading the text because people were asking where the hell I was and why I was ignoring them. I spent about an thirty minutes answering text and emails as well as checking facebook. However, after that, I didn’t even turn on the T.V. I went outside on my balcony to read for class… weird. I then went out to eat, listening to the radio on the way there; it was a nice change to the silence earlier. I found that I did not even look or play with my phone as often as I usually do during a normal day. I think that I will calm down with my media use considering I got a lot more school work done. But needless to say I do LOVE my media and I am glad I was not born in the Stone Ages and I have my blackberry :)

2 comments:

  1. I don't know about you, but I get all the news I need from the Breeze. Haha I felt exactly the same way that “no one will ever know” after I checked blackboard for course assignments, but I too stayed strong. Psh, I bet it would rock to be born in the Stone Ages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You wouldn't have had that Blackberry in the Stone Ages so you wouldn't have missed it much...also would have been too busy hunting for food!

    ReplyDelete